Instructions for Kindergarten Registration

Welcome to HCPS! We look forward to partnering with you during this exciting time and to providing an outstanding education for your child. 

To enroll in kindergarten, students must be 5 years old by Sept. 30 of the school year in which they will begin.  

Parents are encouraged to register their child by July 1 of the same year they will begin kindergarten. 

  • Only a natural parent, adoptive parent, court-appointed legal guardian or a person with a military power of attorney may enroll a child in Henrico County Public Schools. (Nonmilitary or traditional powers of attorney are not accepted.) 

  • A foster parent may enroll a child with the consent of the legal custodian by presenting a copy of the court order that identifies the child’s legal custodian.

Enrollment Process

Please proceed to Step 3 below.


  • Download and complete the following forms and make an appointment at the school

 * Must be completed and turned in before the child’s first day of school. 


Gather the following additional documents to complete the registration process at your school

Birth Certificate

An original official state-issue birth certificate for your child must be presented in person to the registrar.

Proof of Residency

Parents/legal guardians must provide proof of residency plus a picture ID to verify identity. Residency documents must show the person’s name and address of where he/she is residing, see link below. These documents will also be required for a change of address*.

Immunizations and Physicals

  • An up to date record of your child’s immunizations.

  • A comprehensive physical exam form signed by a qualified U.S. licensed health care provider and dated no earlier than 12 months before the date your child will begin school.

Exceptional Education Services

If your child currently receives special education services, please follow up with the school registrar to submit any documentation (IEP cover page, services page and least restrictive environment statement) with your enrollment. A member of the exceptional education team will then contact you. 

Frequently Asked Questions: